The Student News Site of Carmel Christian School

V for Vintage

October 31, 2017

Vintage is a trend that never seems to die. Adding a modern twist to the most prominent looks of each generation never ceases to add a high-fashion edge to your look. My personal favorite vintage look is 90’s business casual: turtlenecks and baggy, high-waisted pants catch eyes in all the right ways. However, buying “vintage-inspired” new clothing from stores can seriously break the bank. So, how do you elevate your look without draining your wallet?

The answer is simple: thrift stores. Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Buffalo Exchange are just a few examples of thrift stores located in and around Charlotte.

I get it, thrift stores are overwhelming. Yes, they are disorganized, and you don’t know where everything came from, but if you take time to sift through the vast selection, you might just find a hidden gem. Nike, Tommy Hilfiger, Prada, and Adidas are just a few of the name brands that I have come across at my local Goodwill. Not to mention that resale on these thrift items can be priced up in the hundreds, when you’re only paying a maximum of $8.00 for each item.

Once you’re in the store, though, how do you find the hidden goldmines? Well, starting with an open mind is essential to thrift shopping; never judge the clothes until you try them on. Obviously, there are certain pieces that you already know are out of style, but NEVER put back a good piece because you think it won’t fit right—you never know until you try it on. Also, give yourself plenty of time to truly search through the clothing. You might have to go to several stores, and it takes a while to dig through each rack—yes, that means you should look through every rack—so make sure that you do not have other commitments. My final tip is to check other gender sections. Hear me out: most men’s sections have great sweatshirts, while women’s sections have better jeans. However, this, of course, depends on the store.

No matter what your personal style is, thrift shops have something for everyone. They are the perfect place to upgrade your wardrobe, especially when you’re on a budget.

Photo by William J. Canning.